Saturday, September 15, 2007

Which School? --- Part 2

I had almost decided to apply to HEC Paris, but then the Europe job scene is tough anyday for non-Europeans. I can definitely get a job, but only based on my previous experience. Changing careers would be difficult. INSEAD and LBS can open doors to new careers but they are too costly.

Is there any good one-year MBA in US? There are a few good ones but they need an undergraduate degree in business. One which is decent is Emory University's Goizueta School of Business. It has very good one year MBA which doesn't require a degree in business. I again almost fixed my mind into this one.

But after talking to a few more friends, I thought, I'll think long-term. One year or two doesn't matter much in a career of 25-year more years, but two year MBA will open up many options which one-year cannot. I should not decide based only on one year shorter time out of work, because the extra options more than make up for it.

So I started looking at US schools. Schools which can give me some scholarship. UNC with scholarship is a reach, but I will try. Emory is possible. I don't know much about Indiana but I think I can get some. So these three are decided. Vanderbilt has a strong program with good academics too. I'm thinking about it. Most probably I'll apply.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I stumbled across your blog upon googling Goizueta MBA. We have similar choices; I'm also considering Owen, Kenan-Flagler and Goizueta. Like you, I'm also finding cost to be a major deterrent, and I am wary of borrowing a huge amount of money to finance my education. So now I'm looking at IUJ (in Japan), Bradford (their MBA program offers the best value for money, according to the Financial Times), and MBA programs in Scotland (Strathclyde, etc). You might also want to research on the Nimbas MBA.

Good luck to you =)

mbawise said...

Thanks Janice! Good luck to you too.
I think I should be able to get a schol in US school so I won't concentrate on others now, but thanks for the advice! I appreciate it...

Ramkumar said...

ur profile says "technology" and u want mba. thought v r in same boat.

i am in embedded domain. i wud like to do what my managers do. shape what co. shud b and where it has to go. i think mba is the shortcut for it.

I am really stuck as to what major to take in mba. My concern is that it shud land me in tech. co. not in some banks.
Hope u understand.